Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thanks for all your hard work, here's a coupon

In any gratuity heavy industry, there are bound to be weird tips. Who can forget Home Alone 2, where Rob Schneider gets tipped in a piece of Wrigley's chewing gum? When I got to my hotel room in Canada, the houseman was kind enough to bring me some toiletry items, as my bags had not arrived with me. I asked him to hold on, grabbed my cash, then realized I hadn't exchanged my money yet. And the US Dollar is not doing quite as well as the Canadian Dollar. I apologized and told him I only had American money, and gave him 5 bucks. he said it was fine of course, but after he took that to the bank to exchange it, he probably netted $2 after the exchange rate and transaction fees took place. I don't think I saw that houseman again for the entire 2 weeks I was there. Then today, my first day back at work, one of my Desk Agents told me about her husband, who is a bellman at another resort nearby. He checked someone in, took them to the room and helped them with their bags. The woman asked him to hold on, while she fumbled through her clutch. "here you go. thanks for your help." It was a coupon for free butter!!!



Can you believe that?? Butter!? Not even a coupon for an entree item, or something of substance, but instead, butter. I forgot to ask, but I wonder how that went down when they pooled their tips that evening. "ok, we got $336 and a butter coupon. Who wants the butter coupon?? anyone?"



I told my desk agent, I was going to try that out as a joke the next time I travel. I get diaper and formula coupons from Safeway all the time. I just want to see the look on the person's face when I tip them in a coupon, instead of cash... then laugh, and give them cash afterwards for being a good sport.



People are funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment