Monday, March 8, 2010

Haircut Etiquette?

Good common courtesy dictates that "when conversing with another person, maintain good eye contact." Does this apply in all circumstances? what about when you get your haircut? Should you maintain eye contact through the mirror when seated in the barber's chair? I went to Great Clips today and was wondering about this. Firstly I must admit, I'm a friendly person. I have no problems talking to anybody, and the majority of my job consists of talking with people-strangers and friends alike. But for some reason, when I go get my haircut I don't talk a lot. I see people around me having long, in depth conversations with their stylist, but I'm just sitting there. most of my responses to questions are one word answers, and I don't know why I'm like this when I get my hair cut. Perhaps, in some weird corner of my brain I feel an inferiority when I'm getting my hair cut. (I think a lot of it has to do with the chair. Think about it. Something happens when they have to press the pedal to lift the chair higher, that makes us all feel like we're kids again. And the fact they have ultimate say/control on the chair, and can twist and turn it on their every whim...but I digress). One part of getting a haircut that makes me uncomfortable is where to look when I'm in the chair. I mean, they're talking to me, but they're not looking at my eyes when doing so (at least I hope not...I'd like to think they're focused on the hair in relation to their sheers). But does that mean I still should be looking at them?? Usually I am looking at myself (wow, that sentence makes me seem incredibly vain), or down at the various items on their desk. I feel like if I look at them, it will make them uncomfortable because they aren't reciprocating, or even worse, it will make them feel like they should start looking at me in between snips because I'm looking at them! This could be a huge disaster because either they are going to take forever because they keep stopping to chit chat, or they will not stop and just look up at the mirror and keep cutting away all Willy Nilly!

Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who has had occasion to ponder this type of thing. Anyone else have a hard time at the salon/barber knowing the appropriate times to make eye contact??

1 comment:

  1. I look at my hair, I like to see what they are doing. I'm not much of a talker anyway, and sitting in the chair is no different...I'm pretty silent unless they ask me questions. However, if it's my little sister doing my hair, then I don't shut up. I do have to admit that when I get my hair done, I'm always wondering if I should say something or attempt to start a conversation.

    ReplyDelete