Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What are you Passionate about?? part 1

Have you ever sat down and considered your passions. Wise words once admonished "bridle your passions." True it is that when we let our passions dictate our actions, when we let them become our master, when this happens...well, then we have lost the very thing we were seeking. But when the things we are passionate about are in harmony with what we should be doing in life, building upon them can be a real joy. and joy is part of the reason we are here is it not? And so to revert back to the first question... Have you ever just sat down and asked yourself "what am I passionate about?" I think you'll find what you think of pretty interesting. It's also interesting how some passions come and go, and some are consistent. The constants are of course, faith and family... but it's also interesting how passions affect each other. For instance, I am passionate about music. I really am. I love music! I love the show Glee, and not for the portrayal of high school drama, or even for the hilarity of the writing, which I admire quite a bit, but mainly I love it for the music! It's incredible how much music has and continues to shape my life. One of my favorite things about playing in the orchestra was the synergy that was created when you combined melody and harmony out of chaos. When that happens, and you are in the moment of a great song, and your heart goes up and down with the mood of the music...it's nothing short of magical. And I pretty much sucked! So it was even more magical that I was apart of something that created something so beautiful, so poetic. Right now I'm listening to the theme from Last of the Mohican's... Possibly one of the greatest theme songs ever! You can not help but feel like you are running up the mountain to one last battle. You can not help but feel your adrenalin mount up inside you when you listen to this music! I defy someone to listen and not feel anything. There are so many great soundtracks out there. Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park...the list goes on and on. I love the power a full orchestra possesses.
I wish I could post a few of the songs I have in my head right now. I'll have to consult with my expert blog advisor and see if there's a way to do it. On my way to work recently I was listening to my Glee CD, but on the tail end of it, I added some Vocal Point A Capella songs. Nearer My God to Thee and Praise to the Man. Both incredible! You can not help but want to stand and sing at the top of your lungs along with them. Here as I sit on my couch writing about my passion for music, I can see just above my laptop screen, my guitar sitting on its stand. behind it, my ukulele. I'd love to go and pick either up and just play and play and play...unfortunately I haven't quite put in my due practice lately, and what was once a primitive 5 song repertoire is now down to a depressing 1 or 1 1/2 if my memory is in a generous mood. So there you have it, Music is one of my great passions, and yet I still can't dedicate enough time in my day to spend practicing. Now that is lousy dedication. but I digress... The point is, this is just one of my passions, and I've already wrote a fairly mind numbing amount on just the one. So before I write part two, I'd like to hear some of the things you are passionate about. It could be something small, or something grandiose, but either way, I think it's good if we just take some time to think about them once in a while.

"Cool Runnings: Peace Be the Journey"
B

4 comments:

  1. Well, I think we all know what Brad's passion is. My passion used to be the same, but now that I don't have time to play soccer or kick a ball with friends, I have become passionate about running. I absolutely love it. I love my child, but there are some days where I just NEED a break. Right when Brad walks in the door, I have to get out and run! I know it probably sounds stupid to some people, but it's amazing. It's even better when I've had a stressful day, I just keep running and running until it all goes away. It's literally the only time I spend all by myself during the day. Seriously, even when I shower, Donovan comes into the bathroom needing something and still wakes us up in the middle of the night to go potty. I don't have many talents, but I've always been athletic so it works for me! It sounds a little silly, but I absolutely love it. It makes me feel like a carefree kid again! I'm sure there are more things I'm passionate about, but Donovan takes up the majority of my time so they've been put on the back-burner...and I'm perfectly fine with that because I'm extremely passionate about being a good mom and making sure my children know I love them and become responsible, productive members of society. And now I'm done rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passionate about "Big As Your Face Chocolate Chip Cookies". Justin and I make them about once a month. I think we're about due...

    Next time all the boys are together, will you form a band? Please? Even if it's just for one night, the memories will last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading. I'm passionate about reading! I'm passionate about a great many things, but reading is the flour of my passion dough. I read a lot! I'm currently reading a biography of Abraham Lincoln, which followed a re-read of A Grief Observed, and which precedes a thorough dissection of The Killer Angels. Also, a very related, and very deep passion of mine is thinking. When I think I am lead down paths that my mind had heretofore not ventured. Questions and answers come from heavenly sources as I ponder the reality of existence and how to reconcile that with the terrestrial realities around me.

    Reading and thinking, those are my passions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I guess reading is a passion of mine too, although I don't seem to find nearly as much time for it as I would like to. I just read Seabiscuit (great) and The Book Thief (greater) for a book club my ward has going. I love books, but I feel out of the loop because I'm at home all day rereading Goodnight Moon for the 3,250th time. I'm also passionate about music, like Ben said. I miss being a part of an orchestra. I get a little nostalgic when I hear a really good movie score—Star Wars comes to mind right off the bat. And I guess I'm a little passionate about making desserts, because that's where I seem to be spending the bulk of my free time—in the kitchen baking something delicious and unnecessary. Yum! I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else has said. Why were all the good passions already taken?

    ReplyDelete