Wednesday, April 7, 2010

remember when: topic continued...

I think, had we been just a little more business minded back in high school, we could have made a killing on creating and distributing "daydreaming mix cds". maybe titled "NOW that's what I call Daydreaming: soft jams you can really get your nap on to!" Missed an opportunity there. There seem to be certain artists that just exude "trips down memory lane" type songs. Several have been mentioned. Lifehouse is a huge one- so many great songs on what was it, their 2nd album?! When I replay my own personal video yearbook in my mind, Lifehouse is on the soundtrack several times.
I can't possibly talk about music-related memories without mentioning the King of Pop! I don't know how many people we had in Brad's car (the Nissan was it?), but it was packed, we put on "Black and White" and turned it up as high as it would go-all the windows rolled down. I'm sure we were heading somewhere, but for some reason my memory just has us circling the high school parking lot for the duration of the song. Then there's the Soundtrack for O Brother Where Art Thou- doing the El Guapo dance, while "Man of Constant Sorrow" filled the Senior Hallway....(we were so cool)
and then there's sweet sweet Journey. I can not for the life of me name another song that was on the Senior Prom Theme ballot. Was there ever any doubt Faithfully would be the one? Does anyone remember after it was announced, how excited Knowland was? I walked into the Seminary building and he was telling a group of Sophomores how that was his Prom Theme Song! You could see the joy on his face as he thought back... Hows that for a two-fer? Journey brings back memories of other people's memories! crazy good
Finally, how great was Dave's Bed?? It was the perfect canvas for our daydreaming scenery. Many of my fondest high school memories took place on that bed. That statement must sound very strange to outsiders, but that's just because you haven't had the blessed occasion to rest your proverbial laurels on that mattress and just veg out on some spectacular tunes! It was Euphoric.
Now if you excuse me, I'm going to pull out my yearbooks and put on some James Taylor~

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to list several artists-what are the first memories that come to mind?

    Enya?

    Celine Dion?

    Dashboard Confessionals?

    Dave Matthews Band?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lake Powell. Each individually has other memories as well, but I'm tired and that will have to be for another day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm back after some beauty sleep. Here we go:

    Enya - Dancing improv at the spring showcase in high school with Will and Beck.

    Celine Dion - Dancing on the boat at Lake Powell with Silv and Will and having the "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders" totally hit on us. We seriously danced for like 25 minutes straight. Let's just say we "rocked" that boat! ;)

    Dashboard Confessional - Totally laying in the boat at Lake Powell after a full day of wakeboarding, cliff jumping, watching Josh mountain board into the lake, and watching Beck pelvic thrust while wakeboarding.

    Dave Matthews Band - Tons of memories. Lots of driving around in Silv's car with way too many people packed in it. Another is Silv daydreaming of Mary/Sarah Jerome (sometimes maybe simultaneously) to his song. Also, Boyer playing Ants Marching for us at my house. And another random one is during the football days. I remember John Frischknecht (spelling?) singing Crush and really emphasizing the "pull your skirt up and show me your whole world" part in true perv high schooler fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the line in Crash is "hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me." Just in case you didn't get enough visual effect the first time.

    Enya - Umm, it seems like in my memories, enya is always playing somewhere, but wasn't she part of the music you guys did that dance to in the talent show? Or something like that?

    Celine is definitely of Lake Powell. I think Beck and I were walking down the ramp after towing the broken trailer and then parking the truck. I think we could hear the music from the top of the mile-long boat ramp and knew for sure that it was coming from our boat.
    Also, I think Silv put it on the little video he made. Silv, if you're out there, post that video somewhere!

    Dashboard is also from Powell. I think that CD played a hundred times that trip. I still have the same burned copy in my cd case. It's long been too scratched to play, but I keep it around for the memories.

    DMB - these memories always involve Silv and the Nissan. I think it was the official "diggin" band. That and leaving the high school parking lot for lunch. Which also reminds me of "Bruce Willis." My kids will not be allowed to call shotgun. It forever and always will be Bruce Willis. (I guess Di will mostly be sitting Bruce Willis so I suppose the kids will have to fight over grundle.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRUCE WILLIS!!!! I am laughing so hard right now! Remember how we came to the conclusion that Bruce Willis was the ultimate call for sitting in the front seat?? That was quite the process. what was it again? Shotgun, Bazooka, Astroid that killed the dinosaurs, Armageddon, and finally Bruce Willis? I feel like I may be missing something...

    ReplyDelete