Saturday, April 3, 2010

Survey Says: AWESOME!!!

So the "Kneaders French Toast Knockoff Project" went very well in my opinion. I wish I would have taken a picture of my rendition, so you all could compare to the picture I stole from the web. I have some left overs, and I'm tempted to "plate up" a little presentation, but then I'd have to eat it, and though there are several differences between my french toast and the Kneaders original, one thing that remains similar is how full I feel after eating way more than I should have. It reminded me of the morning Justin, Brad, and I had breakfast at the Orem store. I can't remember exactly, but if memory serves, we each ended up eating 6 or 7 portions...wait..what's that? You mean, we're not in high school anymore? we don't have raging Metabolisms that would allow us to devour a Buick, if enough barbecue sauce was provided? Oh...ok then. Perhaps it was only 2 portions consumed by each of us, with someone eating half of a third... Yeah, that sounds more accurate.
Bottom Line is, this is a really good french toast recipe. So here it is-please enjoy!

From my extensive Food Network watching, I've learned that when doing French Toast, choosing the right bread is critical. The experts like going with a Challa or Brioche bread. I picked up some Challa from Arizona Bread Company yesterday before work.

I sliced it on a bit of a slant to get slices that had a lot more bread, and a little less crust.

Slice the bread, set it aside.

Mix together:
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1T brown sugar
1T vanilla
3tsp salt
2T cinnamon

Take a glass 9x14 baking dish and butter down the bottom and sides.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Thoroughly soak the bread in the egg mixture (the recipe I went off said to lay the bread in the dish, pour the mixture over the bread, and then refrigerate for an hour to overnight, but I soaked each piece individually for about 3-5 minutes and then set it in the dish).

lay the bread in the glass baking dish
sprinkle each piece with a little cinnamon
cut 2T of butter into tiny cubes and dot over top.

bake for 45-50 minutes.

Syrup:
1c brown sugar
1c heavy cream
1c light karo syrup

heat on stove, stirring until sugar is dissolved and it's warmed through.

we put some cool whip, a fruit compote of fresh strawberries and bananas, and the syrup on top of the french toast and it was Divine.

Eat Your Heart Out Bobby Flay!

No comments:

Post a Comment